On this episode of the Pharmacy View podcast, Scott talks with Propell Health CEO and founder Craig Simmonds to talk all things iHealth and using technology to improve the patient experience from the doctor’s office to the pharmacy. Given the prevalence of iHealth and the benefits of using technology to remotely-monitor patients, it may be surprising that Craig didn’t start out in the healthcare industry. Instead, this serial entrepreneur began his career in product development, specifically in the shoe industry, before transitioning to iHealth and founding Propell in 2015.
Since its inception, Propell has worked with iHealth to make monitoring chronic disease easier, simpler, and more enjoyable for patients, no matter their age or familiarity with technology. Throughout their conversation, Craig emphasized the benefits using technology in healthcare provides, especially in a time when a global pandemic makes remote monitoring not only convenient, but at times the only safe option. In the years since 2015, iHealth has developed and achieved TGA approval for a number of wireless products, many the first of their kind, including blood pressure monitors, pulse oximeters, glucose monitors, and body analysis scales. Craig and his team are developing new products all the time, working to get them into the primary health network industry and into the hands of the patients and pharmacists who need them most.
Craig and Scott concluded their conversation by outlining the benefits of iHealth and Propell’s many products when it comes to battling chronic disease and streamlining patient care. The digital age is undoubtedly here to stay, and Craig sees digital tools, like those developed by iHealth, as an enormous opportunity for pharmacies to get on the cutting-edge of patient care and chronic disease monitoring.
- Craig’s background in the pharmacy and shoe industries.
- The evolution of iHealth and the importance of using technology.
- How to share your trends with your pharmacist through iHealth.
- Using iHealth to do remote vitals monitoring, especially with COVID-19.
- The importance of self-monitoring and how to use iHealth to do that.
- Getting iHealth into the primary health network industry.
- Getting TGA approval for iHealth.
- Available iHealth products and where pharmacists can get them.
- “I could see that iHealth was solving that problem because the power’s actually going to the patient or the customer and they could have all their readings on their phone, with them at all times. And that’s what iHealth was able to do.” (7:42)
- “We want to stop people going to hospital. That’s the number one focus hospitals want.” (13:16)
- “There’s a lot of rubbish products in the market, and I see them in pharmacy. I want to make sure that when I’m helping a patient—which is what my goal is—they have got a device that is TGA-approved, that’s clinically validated, and that’s accurate.” (19:56)
- “For pharmacies, digital health is an enormous opportunity. And that’s why I say to every pharmacy, ‘look at your chronic disease monitoring and ask how can I help my patient better?’” (25:52)
Social Media Clips:
- Craig’s first experience with iHealth and the realization that it was a game-changer in the pharmacy industry (4:49-5:35)
- Sharing your health trends with your pharmacist using iHealth (8:51-9:28)
- Moving patients from using iHealth to remote-monitor to using the devices to self-monitor (18:11-19:10)
- Using iHealth to help pharmacists battle chronic disease in their patients. (22:20-22:44)
- Using digital devices in pharmacies to reach your consumers. (23:16-23:47)
Contact Craig Simmonds:
Pharmacy View Sponsors/Contacts:
Website contact: www.pharmacyview.com.au
Scott Carpenter: www.linkedin.com/in/scottcarpenter-evbc
Shopfront Solutions: https://shopfrontsolutions.com.au
Aerion Technologies: https://aerion.com.au